Gheranda Samhita is the name of Shambhavi Mudra as mentioned in the Yogic text. “Shambhavi Mudra” is known to be one of the most powerful and impactful gesture when it comes to meditation.
Shambhavi Mudra known to be one of the most powerful Mudra and it is called ‘the eyebrow centre gazing gesture.’
It is said that a person who masters this mudra can have the wisdom of divine trinities like Lord Shiva, Brahma and Vishnu.
A lot of people think that focusing or concentration on something, uttering one mantra or thinking about thought is mediation. But Shambhavi Mudra in Yoga is different from these things, Shambhavi mudra does not depend upon these aspects, and this the reason Shambhavi Mudra is known to be as Mahamudra or a Kirya.
Before we jump on the Shambhavi mudra benefits, we must understand the meaning of this word.
What is the meaning of Shambhavi Mudra?
The mudra means a seal – you lock it. This Shambhavi mudra is a practice in Isha Yoga centre and this is known to be the same Mudra which people used to practice earlier.
According to some people and information based on the people who practised this kriya, this Shambhavi Mudra is developed based on the traditional method of Shambhavi Mudra.
This traditional mudra was used to activate your third eye chakra. And it is said that this Shambhavi mudra does the same.
Shambhavi Mudra Benefits:
- Shambhavi Mudra is known to be one of the most important mudras for meditation.
- Shambhavi Mudra benefits to reach a higher state of consciousness, and a person who practices this Mudra can reach the state of Samadhi.
- This Mudra helps to settle down your mind once you focus on the point in between your eyebrows.
- This is an amazing mudra to strengthen your eyes muscles and sometimes while performing Shambhavi Mudra your eyes get watery which helps to clean your eyes.
- Shambhavi Mudra benefits to energize and activate the third eye chakra also known as Ajna Chakra.
- Shambhavi Mudra benefits your mind and enhances your brain ability.
- This mudra also helps to develop psychic power.
- This mudra helps to improve interpersonal communication skills.
- Shambhavi Mudra helps to create a heightened level of insight.
In ancient time, the number of sounds we used to hear was 10 times lesser than in today’s world. Our ears were more used to silence and natural voices, unlike today’s world where we are constantly exposed to unstoppable buzzing all the time.
Earlier if you want to look at a beautiful sunset you need to wait till the evening time but today if you have to see something everything is in front of you some inches away on your phone or television.
Hence, in today’s world, the amount of sensory input we are taking is like never before. How many of us can sit with our eyes closed and would not think about anything? This is the reason that Shambhavi Mudra practices such an important role.
And that is why it is known to be like a seal to put a lock on your energies, to divert them in a direction which will guide you towards the right level of receptivity.
Instead of wasting your energies on endless sensory inputs, Shambhavi mudra helps to turn your energies in a direction that they normally never do.
Shambhavi Mudra Steps to Perform This Kriya Correctly:
- Choose a comfortable sitting position to meditate like Siddhasana and Sukhasana.
- Make a Chin mudra or Jnana mudra in your fingers.
- Then, keep your palms on the knees or thighs to rest.
- After this, you need to try focusing on the middle part in between your eyebrows. Perform this by rolling your eyes upwards and try to focus on the centre of your eyebrows.
- This kriya might look difficult in the beginning, but with the time you will get used to this.
- You need to focus in between your eyebrows on the two curved lines meeting at the centre point of your forehead.
- This will make a V-shaped line and you need to concentrate on this V-shaped point. When you are performing this mudra, you need to chant OM.
- When you are meditating while performing Shambhavi Mudra you should chant OM.
- You need to maintain this Mudra as long as you can. In starting, you might experience pain in your eyes, so bring them back to their normal position and relax your eyes, and then again continue with this mudra.
- When you are performing Shambhavi Mudra try to breathe normally.
- Shambhavi Mudra benefits to practice deep meditation state.
Once you feel comfortable, you can increase the duration of shambhavimudra. According to some research on “Shambhavi Mudra“, this mudra helps to higher the cortisol awakening response. And people who practice Shambhavi Mudra their cortisol awakening responses are higher compared to a normal person.