In India, 80% of people above 60 years old are suffering from cervical spondylosis problem. If you want to understand cervical spondylosis in simple words is not a disease but a common problem amongst old age people, it is the natural wearing and tearing of the tissues.
What really happens is with age the disc degenerates and dehydrating, and this problem also includes extra bone formation which leads to the narrowing of the passage from where the small nerves come from.
So, when these small nerves are stretched or pressed in the cervical spine, this leads to the pain in the neck, upper limbs and this called cervical radiculopathy or disc problem. Cervical radiculopathy means when the disc gets compressed it bulges out, it compresses out the nerves. This leads to the pain in the neck and hands.
So, this is the problem we were talking about and now, let’s understand the types of food you should eat in cervical spondylosis for quick recovery.
Foods to include in your diet:
1. Calcium: Having Foods with high calcium content is essential to strengthening bones. Calcium helps in building an important support structure for our bones.
Foods with high calcium content in it:
- Dark green vegetables.
- Peas and beans.
2. Vitamin D: This is an essential vitamin to main the health of our bones. If there is not enough Vitamin D in your body, then it will be difficult for your system to absorb calcium because Vitamin D helps your bones to absorb calcium.
Foods with high Vitamin D content in it:
- Egg yolk.
3. Vitamin C: This is an essential vitamin to help your bones and gums to gain strength. Vitamin C is also helpful to form in collagen formation. This collagen element is an important foundation; helps in building bone mineralization.
Foods with high Vitamin C content in it:
- Red-coloured fruits.
4. Vitamin E: Vitamin E is an important vitamin that helps to stimulate cartilage building proteins in our body. This is an essential vitamin that helps to reduce the stiffness, inflammation and pain. It is important to consume Vitamin- E rich foods in its raw form. And try to not overcook Vitamin E rich foods because oxygen and heat can destroy Vitamin E.
Foods with high Vitamin E content in it:
- Sunflower oil or any plant-based oil.
- Leafy green vegetables.
- Whole grains.
- Dried apricots.
5. Ginger and Garlic: These two ingredients are easily available in our Kitchen can be a way to get rid of inflammation and pain. Ginger and Garlic both are rich in anti-inflammatory properties beneficial to deal with inflammation and pain.
Foods to avoid in Cervical Spondylosis:
- Do not consume canned and processed foods it is not good for you in any condition.
- Foods with additional preservatives and artificial colour are not healthy for you.
- If you are suffering from uric acid diathesis or with the high level of uric acid, then you need to avoid foods like beans, nuts, toor dal, cauliflower, urad dal, sweets, citrus fruits and grapes.
- Try to avoid foods high in fat and protein.
We hope you find the information useful. In case you are suffering from a cervical problem; we wish a quick recovery, follow the above instruction carefully. You can also consult your doctor in case you want to be more sure about what you should consume or not.