Mostly when we feel hot we turn on air conditioners, switch on coolers or bath twice. But there is something that you should know that you can keep your body temperature cool during summers by eating vegetables.
Today, we will be sharing some vegetables which help you to maintain your body temperature and keep you cool during summers.
Here we are not advising you to atop using other ways of keeping yourself cool, but if certain foods are doing the same for you and helping you to remain cool during peak summertime, then you should go for these nutritious vegetables.
Here are the 9 vegetables which will provide both nutrition and coolness in summers.
- The best thing about Pumpkins is that they are very rich in Vitamin A. And, Vitamin A helps to strengthen your immune system and fights various diseases.
- Another thing about pumpkins is that they are a good source of the antioxidant, beta-carotene.
- This anti-oxidant helps you to combat heart disease and keeps your body temperature cool during summers.
2. Bitter Gourd
- Yes, bitter gourd (Karela) is not only full of nutrition and rich with anti-oxidants but it is one of the best summer vegetables to keep you cool.
- We know that lot of people avoid bitter gourd because of its bitter taste, but you are keeping your system away from some of the most nutritious vegetable, a must-have.
- It is a combo pack of nutrients like vitamin-c, potassium, calcium and iron.
- In case you don’t know, vitamin-c is good to boost your immunity.
- This vegetable also helps to regulate blood sugar level hence it is really good for diabetes patients.
- Bitter gourd also aids digestion which helps your body to tackle hot weather.
3. Green Leafy Vegetables
- Green is not only pleasant to eyes, but green vegetables have many benefits that you must be aware of because most of the vegetable we are, a lot of us don’t know about its nutritional benefits.
- Green vegetables are an excellent source of minerals like calcium and iron.
- The reason that green vegetable is an excellent option to have in summers because green veggies contain high amount of water content.
- And, these vegetable are rich in folates which makes it light for your stomach.
- Pepper is one of the most popular spices we use to add spice.
- But do you know from where pepper gets its distinct flavour and its spiciness? It comes from ‘Capsaicin,’ pepper is loaded with this phytochemical which gives the pepper it’s unique spicy flavour.
- Capsaicin helps to boost your metabolism; aids weight loss and also help to improve digestion.
- It is also known for its pain-relieving properties.
- Pepper is boosted with essential antioxidants and vitamins which makes it an essential addition to your summer food diet.
5. Green Beans
- It is often advisable to have foods rich in fiber to aid digestion.
- Green beans are ideal for summers because they are light and rich in fibre.
- Hence it helps to improve your digestion.
- Green beans are also rich in Vitamin K. And, Vitamin-K boost your bone health.
- Greens beans also have other nutrients like antioxidants, iron, protein and zinc.
- Carrot is gown in winter but it is also available in summers and it is also rich in fibre.
- Carrots are rich in beta-carotene and it also helps to synthesise Vitamin A which is extremely good for the eyes.
- Carrots are rich in magnesium, antioxidants, Vitamin B6 and folic acid.
- The reason that carrots are something you should eat on hot days because they are high in fibre and this makes carrots easy to digest.
7. Bottle Gourd
- Bottle Gourd (Lauki) is extremely essential to have during summers.
- Best things that you can also make raita (boiled grated bottle gourd with curd and some seasoning) or you can also make a simple low oil vegetable with bottle gourd.
- Bottle gourd has high water content and it is also rich in calcium.
- This makes it easy-to-digest type of summer food and also a bone booster.
- It is also used from ages to cure problem like high cholesterol, stomach issues and to regulate blood sugar levels.
- Tomatoes not only add beautiful colour to our food but it also has a tangy distinct flavour which makes it a super delicious ingredient in most of our Indian dishes, salads and even chutneys.
- Tomatoes are also eaten raw, and they are made of 94-95% of water which makes tomatoes as a hydrating food to consume during summers.
- Tomatoes are boosted with nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin K, calcium and potassium.
- Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants like lycopene and therefore it has made skin-related benefits including overall health benefits.
- Cucumbers are 96% water and therefore it is a popular vegetable to have in summers.
- Cucumbers are also eaten raw with flavouring salt and pepper or spicy chutneys.
- But, people also make cucumber raita (curd and grated cucumber with some seasoning) to have during the day time in hot days.
- Cucumbers are also popularly used in salads and they are rich with Vitamin C, Vitamin K and antioxidants.
Always remember what you eat is more impactful than any other external factor. And therefore it is important for us to eat foods thinking the well being of our system.
Start eating foods high in nutrition, and less in calories. That is what eating healthy is all about.