Coffee is one of the most delicious and popular drinks but many people still don’t know whether caffeine is good or bad?
Coffee is loved worldwide by billions of people. This drink is like a life saver, a friend to be able to survive during night shifts work, to kick start a day, and to start a new bond.
Besides the huge consumption, people are still not clear whether caffeine is good or bad? Therefore, today we will discuss the benefits of coffee and is caffeine good or bad for your health?
Health Benefits of Coffee:
- Coffee is good for brain function and this drink also helps to improve mood.
- When you drink coffee this helps to block brain-signalling molecule adenosine. When this happens this promotes other molecules like norepinephrine and dopamine. Therefore coffee is good for your mood.
- As per some studies, caffeine helps to reduce the risk of depression.
- Having coffee also helps to reduce the risk of developing Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s upto 28 to 60 per cent.
- The bioactive compounds in it are beneficial for you.
According to some studies, if you want to get the benefits of coffee it is best to have another cup after 8 hours because having another cup of coffee before this won’t give any benefits.
In simple words, if we need to understand the meaning of caffeine we can say that it is a natural stimulant. This stimulant is found in cacao plants, tea, and coffee.
The reason you feel alert after having coffee because the stimulant in it stimulates your central nervous system and brain.
Caffeine consumption among adults in North America is up to 90%. And, around 80 per cent of people in the world consume caffeinated drinks and products.
When you consume caffeine, the absorption of caffeine happens quickly from your gut to the bloodstream. Then, the caffeine reaches the liver and after breaking it down into compounds it further travels to the other body parts.
How much Caffeine do you Consume in (240-ml) Popular Coffee Drinks?
|Cocoa beverage||2–7 mg|
|Soft drinks||20–40 mg|
|Energy drinks||50–160 mg|
|Decaffeinated coffee||3–12 mg|
|Yerba mate||65–130 mg|
|Chocolate milk||2–7 mg|
|Brewed tea||40–120 mg|
Even other food options contain caffeine like chocolate, cookies and biscuit and toffees.
Other Health Benefits of Coffee are:
1. Coffee helps to prevent your liver from problems like cirrhosis up to 84%.
2. Consumption of caffeine can reduce the risk of premature death up to 30 per cent, mainly in females and diabetic patients.
3. Caffeine reduces the risk of liver and colorectal cancer up to 64 per cent to 38 per cent, respectively. Caffeine also reduces the risk of skin cancer.
4. Caffeine helps to reduce the risk of multiple sclerosis by up to 30 per cent.
5. Having coffee every day helps to prevent gout up to 40 per cent in men and in women this percentage is up to 57 per cent.
6. Coffee is good for your gut health, coffee helps to promote beneficial gut bacteria.
Side Effects of Caffeine:
- Excess consumption of caffeine can lead to irregular heartbeat, restlessness, lack of sleep, tremors and anxiety.
- Having more caffeine can lead to migraine headache and high blood pressure problems.
- Caffeine intake among pregnant women can increase the risk of low birth weight of the child and miscarriage.
- People are consuming medicines like antidepressant and muscle relaxant should not consume caffeine because caffeine can increase the effect of these medicines.
We hope after reading this blog you know the benefits of caffeine and how coffee can be both good and bad for your health depending upon the consumption.