How your body responds depends upon how active you are and what type of fuel you are consuming, in order to be healthy.
Therefore, one must understand the science behind a healthy body, and to do so, one must do enough physical activities to prevent themselves from any type of health issue which generally happen due to lack of physical activities.
People who suffer from sciatica pain generally feel that pain from the back to the thigh and leg and if the condition is different like if the spinal column has a protruding disk, it can sometimes press down on the nerve roots in your spine, which result to sciatica problem.
Why Yoga is Important For Sciatica Pain Treatment
- There are “yoga poses for sciatica” problem which can help with the back pain and leg pain.
- Yoga stretches can actually help to make your sciatica condition much better and to get relief from Sciatica Pain.
- According to the research, yoga asanas can help to ease the katishool (pain in general) when a sciatica patient bends forward.
- Other sciatica symptoms related to sciatica-like tenderness or rigidity as well as trouble walking – can be eased after practising yoga asanas and stretches.
Six Yoga Asana to Get Relief from Sciatica, Lower Back Pain or Slipped Disc:
Bhujangasana Benefits: – Best Yoga Pose for Sciatica
- Stretches muscles in the shoulders, chest and abdominals.
- Decreases stiffness of the lower back.
- Strengthens the arms and shoulders.
- Increases flexibility.
- Improves menstrual irregularities.
- Elevates mood.
This also helps to treat “gridhrasi,” (ayurveda name for sciatica).
Apanasana Benefits: Wind-Relieving or Knees to Chest Pose
- Stretches and stabilizes the pelvis and low back and can reduce lower back pain.
- Reduces excessive anger, excitement, anxiety and high blood pressure.
- Helps with muscle guarding, hyperlordosis, sciatic nerve impingement muscle spasm, spinal stenosis, and disc herniation.
Apanasana is one of the most recommended poses or Yoga Exercise to ease sciatica pain or numbness. This is a yoga pose which has been designed to give relief from the lower back pain. Apanasana can help warm up your lower back area in order to give relief during a back pain problem.
Energizing Pose Benefits:
- This asana helps you to improve your body mechanics and posture.
- With the help of this asana one can calm their mind and body, and with the help of stretching it also strengthen the legs.
- It can also relieve back pain associated with your sciatica.
This asana or Yoga Poses can relief your sciatica pain and help to stretch the affected muscles, to ease the cramp-like pain. To make it easier on yourself, you could elevate your lower leg by placing the heel off the ground on a block or book.
Supta Padangusthasana Benefits: Pose for lower back and some kinds of backache
- Alleviates stiffness in the lower back and some kinds of backache
- Stretches hamstrings, calves, and inner thighs
- Relieves arthritis pain in hips and knees
- Aligns pelvis
This help to get relief from sciatica pain as well as back pain by stretching your hips, thighs, hamstrings, and groin area. Also, help to strengthen your knees.
Shalabhasana Benefits: Locust Pose
- Shalabhasana strengthens the lower back muscles.
- It gives flexibility to the back muscles and spine.
- It can strengthen the shoulders and neck muscles.
A beginner can use a folded towel or soft thick cloth below the ribs and pelvis.
Shalabhasana is also known as grasshopper pose. This asana helps to improve circulation to muscles in the hip area and strengthens the lower back muscles, which is a must to get rid of sciatica problem.
Bridge Pose Benefits:
- Stretches the chest, neck, spine, and hips.
- Strengthens the back, buttocks, and hamstrings.
- Improves circulation of blood.
- Helps alleviate stress and mild depression.
- Calms the brain and central nervous system.
- Stimulates the lungs, thyroid glands, and abdominal organs.
To do this asana, in the starting you can use bolster (pillow) for support. You can place it below the sacrum (the triangular bone at the bottom of your lower back). And, to support your neck you can use a soft thin towel.
This pose stretches your neck, spine, and chest, muscles and helps to reduce back pain and reviving your legs. The asana also helps calm the mind.
If you’re looking for yoga asanas for sciatica to get to the root of your problem by strengthening muscles and alleviating the stress associated with sciatica, yoga asanas can be extremely beneficial for this.
Things to keep in mind:
- Also, make sure to do these yoga poses under the supervision of an expert.
- While doing these asanas if you feel any kind of pain you should stop immediately because this can make your condition even worse.
- If you think that these poses aren’t helping you then, you can go for other available medicines to get relief from Sciatica Problem. Else, you can always consider ayurvedic herbal options or yoga.
Now, when you understand what are yoga poses for sciatica are beneficial it is important to understand what are the yoga poses you should avoid if you have sciatica.
Some Yoga Poses for Sciatica That You Must Avoid
It is important to listen to your body because there are some yoga poses for sciatica that are really good for you but there are some yoga poses that you need to avoid because they can make your symptoms even worse.
That is why it is advisable to first consult a yoga expert and you medical expert before doing yoga poses for sciatica. And, then check what are the yoga poses are not giving you comfort.
- Try to avoid Downwards Facing Dog pose – Make sure that while you are sitting or standing your posture is correct. This can lead to more pain or stress in the pelvis and lower back.
- Instead, do forward bends: This yoga pose for sciatica is good. Forward bend with supine position (lying down, faceup) helps to support your lower back and hips muscles.
- However, sciatica pain in the one side of your lower body so, there are some yoga poses for sciatica that you can easily do from one side and that is completely fine. A pose which involves knee bending you can do that freely and in case you feel discomfort in a seated position, you can also place cushions under your knee.
- Pregnant women: Pregnant women must avoid yoga poses that put pressure, strain or compress your stomach. It is crucial to void yoga poses that include twists, strong backbends, and poses because this will put pressure on your belly area. You can use soft pillows and bolsters to modify your yoga poses.
In this post, we have shared one of the best yoga poses for sciatica. And we also told you regarding the yoga poses that you must avoid if you are suffering from sciatica nerve pain.
These poses that you must do to get rid of sciatica pain can help you to ease the pain you are going through. Not only this yoga poses for sciatica provide other benefits also. By adding these yoga asanas in your daily schedule you can restore movement.